Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

How to show participants what they have answered in a previous part of an experiment?

Hi,
I have a question about showing participants what they have answered in a previous part of the experiment.
My experiment exist of two parts. In the first part participants see a statement and they have to say whether they agree or disagree. There are no correct answers.
In the second part I ask: how sure were you when you answered to this particular statement in the first part. I also want to show them their answer, e.g. you answered I agree. How can I implement this?

Comments

• Hi Carien,

The answer of the first question should be stored in a variable (it should appear in the logfile). If it does you can use a sketchpad to present text. Once you selected the text function click on wherever you want to text to be displayed and put [<variable_name>] in there. Then the answer should appear. You can also combine that with plain text, e.g. Earlier you responded with: [<variable_name>]

Does that help?

Eduard

• Hi Eduard,

Thanks! I suppose this is possible in the GUI, or would we need python to script this?

I guess I am just not sure how to refer back to output in the logfile. How do I define that I am referring to a variable from the logfile? The initial response we are referring back to is a keyboard response.

Best,

Imke

• Hi,

Checkout the attached experiment. Basically, I define a response variable in the form, and use that variable in a feedback item later on. Does that make sense?

Eduard

• Hi,

Thanks, makes a lot of sense! But what if we want to refer to a variable from an other sequence? Is that possible?

Best,
    Imke

• Yes it is possible. The only thing that requires a little coding is if you want to present the value of a variable from another iteration, as the variable will be overwritten on every trial. But older sequences shouldn't cause any trouble.

Eduard

• ok thanks! :-)