Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

Recording the time it takes participants to respond

Hi, I've tried looking through the open sesame tutorials and on this forum to learn how to record the time taken on a task but couldn't find any.

So my experiment is that i'm presenting participants with a 5x5 matrix with 12/25 blocks coloured in. This is presented to them for 5000ms and then followed by a 10000ms long blank screen. What i want to do is after this record how long it takes participants to fill out a blank grid with what they think matches the original grid.

I tried to figure out how to get participants to click on a blank grid in the program but couldn't figure out how to do it so I'm having participants fill out a blank grid on paper. What I need is how long it takes participants to fill out that paper sheet. They start filling in the sheet after the blank screen has ended.

I know nothing about coding. I've tried for months to learn how to do it or at least how to copy it but I cannot for the life of me understand it so please try to explain anything to me as if you were talking to a complete beginner.

Please if anyone could tell em how to or point me in the right direction I'd be beyond grateful!

I've attached the program which i have so far.

MC.osexp 36.1K

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,950

Hi Charlie,

If you're letting participants work with a paper sheet, then I would think a little outside of the box, so to say, and consider a practical solution. For example, you could:

• Time the responses with a stopwatch.
    • Record a video and score the response times later (but participants may not like to be videotaped).
    • Play back a tone as soon as a display is shown, and ask participants to say 'done' when they're done. Then you can make an audio recording and use that to score the response times later.

Or you can invest time in learning Python code, and implement a computer-based solution. With some perseverance, you will be able to do that, trust me. And if you're planning to do more of these experiments in the future, it will pay off.

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot