Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

Portable EyeLink Duo, Installing Pylink on Mac OS

Hello,

My name is Nico Comendador and I am current research assistant for the Mathematical Cognition Lab. Recently, my professor bought this eye tracker (Portable Eye Tracker Duo) and assigned me to hook it up and run some sample experiments. We typically use OpenSesame when running these experiments so having an EyeLink product is compatible with the application.

The problem is, when I drag and drop a "new_pygaze_init" and set it to EyeLink, I get a warning at the bottom stating: "PyLink is required for EyeLink functionality and it is not installed" I follow the website and even install the SR's developer kit which includes PyLink in it. I am running into dead ends and not sure where to turn to.
Also, I am running on High Sierra for my mac OS and have recently updated OpenSesame to its latest version.

Please send help!

Thanks!

-Nico Comendador

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,959

Hi Nico,

Installing Python modules is fairly simple: they are folders (or .py files) that are placed in some location where Python can find them (i.e. in the Python path). So what you need to do is find the pylink folder, which should be included with the PyLink SDK, and put it in some folder that is part of the Python path of the Python version that is bundled with OpenSesame. I'm not sure what this would be on Mac OS, but you can find out by running the following commands in the debug Window:

Does that help?

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

image.png 47.7K

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Hi Sebastiaan,

I appreciate the quick response and I apologize for the late response, other problems appeared with another software. In regards to this, I downloaded the SDK package for MacOS off of the SR-forum and found the PyLink folder. It was called PyLink2.7, which makes sense since I am running Python 2.7 for OpenSesame. Now here is where I am stuck. I do not know how where to put the folder. I can trace through the package contents of OpenSesame by right clicking and then going

toOpenSesame.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7

but when I reach to the python 2.7 folder, there are just more files and folders. Do I just place the PyLink2.7 in this folder, or do I need to navigate further in? I appreciate all you have done!

Sincerely,
    Nico Comendador

Try the commands that I posted above!

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Sebastiaan,

I didn't realize that the command you posted was to find the folder, however now when I try to run OpenSesame with the pylink in the correct folder with it being renamed to pylink, I get another problem. Instead I get an import error that states:

ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/OpenSesame.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pylink27/pylink.so, 2): Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/eyelink_core.framework/Versions/A/eyelink_core
    Referenced from: /Applications/OpenSesame.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pylink27/pylink.so
    Reason: image not found

I do not know what this means, but I appreciate all you have done for me.

• Nico Comendador

Hi Nico,

You need to rename the pylink27 folder to pylink. (I'm not entirely sure that this is the cause of this error, but the renaming is necessary in any case.)

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

cogsci.nl/smathot

• Hi Sebastiaan,

I finally got it to import. I just deleted the old developers kit and installed a new one, but now when I run it with Pylink installed, Open sesame tells me that EyeLink cannot handle filenames longer than 8 characters excluding .edf

Now I assume that somewhere in that code, python references that file which just happened to cause an exception to be thrown. Therefore, to fix this I would need to locate the file and change its name, but I do not know where this would be.

-Nico

Hi Nico,

This error refers to the logfile, which due to restrictions of the EyeLink cannot be longer than 8 characters. So 12345678.csv would be a valid logfile, but 123456789.csv causes the error. Does that make sense?

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

cogsci.nl/smathot

• Sebastiaan,

I got it all to work! Thanks for your help I truly do appreciate everything you have done!

With my most sincere gratitude,
    Nico Comendador