Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

How do I get a floating point out of a division in inline script?

It seems like divisions in the inline script are all floor divisions (no decimals) and I was wondering how to make them true divisions (with decimals). I am using OS 3.1.9 and python 2.7.12. I have already read that it is difficult to make true divisions in python two, but I have found some workarounds online and none of them work on my inline script. Any idea what to do? What I have found is:

1. Get Python 3 division behavior in any given module with the following import at the top:
    from future import division

2. truediv from the operator module operator.truediv(a, b),

3. a / (b * 1.0).

4. a / float(b).

None of them work.

• AndreaHAndreaH Posts: 5

EDIT: I am not sure what I was doing wrong before, but now at least truediv(a, b) works.

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,986

Hi Andrea,

Just so that no-one gets confused about this: All of the above options are valid ways to perform a float division in Python 2.

So if you don't end up with a float, then the reason lies somewhere else. For example, if you set experimental variables (var.my_variable = 1.0), this will automatically change the value to the simplest fitting type. So the float 1.0 will become the int 1. Is that what's going on perhaps?

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.

• AndreaHAndreaH Posts: 5

Yes, I think that this may have been the problem.

Thank you!