Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Disabling "enter" button in form_text_input

Hello,
I have a very basic question but unfortunately, I couldn't manage to make it :( In my experiment, I am using form_text_input. I want my participants to write a memory, which can be long and include many sentences and paragraphs. But in the form, whenever they press the "enter" button the page is changing and the next task appears. As you know pressing the enter is very reflexive in our lives and even if I told them not to press they press :( So is there a possibility to disable this function or at least changing it with any other rarely used button.

Comments

• Hello again :) Actually I found to disable this function by return_accept option. However I still have one problem about the same issue. In the text input form, I added a "next" button. But the button is not active until the enter pressed. I want my participants whenever they finished writing they are able to click the next button and skip the task. Since my experiment is a bit long, it is hard to inform them " please first press the enter and then click the next button". Is it possible to activate next button starting from the experiment?

• Hi,

That is weird. When I add a button to a form, in can be clicked always, no need to press or alike. Are you sure you're doing it correctly? Can you share the code of your form?

Tjhanks,

Eduard

• Hello Eduard,
    Here is my code for text document. It is actually very basic, I just added a button at the end. Even if I give a limited tome for the presentation the situation is not changing.

set timeout infinite
    set spacing 10
    set rows "1;1;6;1;1"
    set only_render no
    set ok_text Devam
    set margins "50;50;50;50"
    set form_var response
    set form_title Title
    set form_question "haydi evini anlat"
    set cols 1
    set _theme gray
    widget 0 0 1 1 label text="[form_title]"
    widget 0 1 1 1 label center=no text="[form_question]"
    widget 0 2 1 1 text_input focus=yes return_accepts=no stub="" var="[form_var]"
    widget 0 4 1 1 button center=yes frame=yes text="[ok_text]"

• Hi,

your code works for me. What version of Opensesame are you using? Which backend? Which operating system? I'm on Ubuntu 16.06, OS 3.2.2 with xpyriment backend.

Eduard

• "I want my participants whenever they finished writing they are able to click the next button and skip the task."
    I am facing the same issue. Only after I press enter, I am able to use the button.