Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

how to work with unicode input from keyboard_response?

I use two keyboard_response objects to log two responses (for an identification task for two letters shown in the trial), and I then want to determine whether the letter matched any of the two letters shown, to create a score for each letter as having been seen or not.

To do so, I tried comparing the logged keyboardinput to the target letter, but there is a mismatch in case: Target is uppercase, this response is encoded in lowercase (turning on caps lock during run time does not help).

If I use str.upper(var.letterinput) to convert the input into uppercase, it says "exception message: descriptor 'lower' requires a 'str' object but received a 'unicode' "

Does anyone know how I can change the unicode encoding into string / compare an uppercase target letter to a lowercase input letter?

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,986

Hi Mark,

upper() is a method of a str or unicode object (which are both text objects) and you call them like so:

So you call the method on the object, and don't pass the object as an argument. Does that clear things up?

So checking whether a response was correct would look something like this:

var.correct = 1 if var.letterinput.upper() == var.target_letter else 0

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.

• Thanks for the quick and early response, works like a charm!