Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

[open] Random order to variables without returning

edited April 2013 in OpenSesame

Hello, I'm trying to find the suitable way to use if conditions for what I want to do. but the following link isn't helping so I need help.
http://osdoc.cogsci.nl/usage/variables-and-conditional-qifq-statements/

After I set variables to the experiment, I assigned "random" to the order, but I need it to be random without return. For example, if a certain variable contains 1-10 numbers, and I have 7 cycles, I wouldn't want any number to appear twice, as there is an option to have 7 nembers appear without any of them repeating.
(like drawing items from a sac without returning them to it).

Thank you!

Comments

• edited 6:06PM

The loop item does random sampling without replacement. For example, if you have a loop table like this ...

... every number between 1 and 10 will appear exactly once. If this is not what you have in mind, could you please be a bit more specific about what you want to accomplish, and what you are doing at the moment?

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

yes I didn't explain myself correctly, assume I have two variables:
    shape and color, each has 8 values, and the loop in which it is has to repeat itself 7 times.
    my problem is: the same shape appears twice in these 7 cycles, which I don't want.
    I need each shape (and color) to appear only once during these 7 cycles.
    how can I use an "if" condition in order to do that?

Thanks,
    Nagham

Ah, I see. This is not possible using only the loop item, but you can do it with a simple inline script. First, you use the loop table to define the eight shapes, as you would normally. Then, you create a list of eight colors in an inline script before the block_loop (as first item of the block_sequence, say).

# First create a randomly ordered list of colors
    from random import shuffle
    exp.colors = ['blue', 'red', 'green', 'purple', 'yellow', 'pink', 'brown', 'magenta']
    shuffle(exp.colors)

Then at the start of the trial_sequence, you pop() the last color from this list, and set it as an experimental variable, like so:

# This script should be in the prepare phase!
    # Select the last color from the list and store it as [color]
    exp.set('color', exp.colors.pop())

Hope this answers you question.

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot