Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Text Input for free recall of multiple words

I am trying to design an experiment where the participants are first shown a list of words and after an interference task, are asked to enter all the words they can recall.
I have used the form_text_input for the free recall part of the experiment. However, I have two issues.
1) I want the participants to enter each word and then press the 'enter' key and then continue with the next word. If the return_accept is set to yes, then the form is terminated then and there. If I set it to no, then after pressing enter, nothing happens. I want to be able to enter multiple responses by pressing enter.
2) After the participant has typed all the words, I want him/her to press a button to exit the form. However, even if I disable the return_accept, only after I press enter, I am able to click the button. It is not activated till enter is pressed.

Comments

• Hi,

The first thing that comes to mind is simply to have three form_text_input items in a row, and have each of them accept the response on enter. Does that work, and if not, in what sense doesn't it?

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Hi,
    Thanks for responding. I did think about that. But the requirement of this particular experiment is that I give the participants 3 minutes to enter all the words they remember. The number of words will then vary from participant to participant. I cannot arrange a finite number of form_text_input can I? I also need the timeout of 3 minutes. Is that possible?
    So I basically want the participant to start entering the words they can remember and in case they are done before 3 minutes, they can simply press a button to proceed. If they continue to recollect and type, I want the form to end after 3 minutes. Please do let me know if there is any way for me to implement this.
    Thanks a lot

• Hi Fawkes,

I agree with Sebastiaan's suggestion. But I would implement it entirely in an inline_script with a while loop. In that inline_script you check how much time has passed since the loop was entered and whether participants pressed a certain exit key. If both are False, you open up a form and let participant type another word. Attached a script does should bring you most of the way.

Good luck,
    Eduard