Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

[open] Rotate image or other stimulus?

lindeloevlindeloev Posts: 2
edited April 2013 in OpenSesame

I'm creating a mental rotation experiment in OpenSesame. The stimuli are sketchpad stuff, e.g. letters, images etc. Is there a way to rotate the contents of the sketchpad or just an image in OpenSesame? In psychopy you would simply do stim.setOri(180). Is there an equivalent in OpenSesame?

Thanks in advance!
- Jonas

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,812
    edited 5:12PM

Hi Jonas,

Is there a way to rotate the contents of the sketchpad or just an image in OpenSesame? In psychopy you would simply do stim.setOri(180). Is there an equivalent in OpenSesame?

Yes and no. The sketchpad item doesn't support rotation. However, you can use all PsychoPy functionality in OpenSesame as well, through the psycho back-end. So you could implement certain parts of your experiment directly with PsychoPy, thus having access to the setOri() function.

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• yoosyoos Posts: 1

Hi Sebastiaan,

I am new in this forum and familiar with the basic OpenSesame programming.
    Do you mean the whole sketchpad item doesn't support rotation, or the stimuli presented into the sketchpad as well?

To extend my question, I am building a simple visual search paradigm where participants have to find a "T"stimulus out of "L" distractors. Is there any code allowing the display of a letter, lets say the "T" by 90° or -90° (in other words an horizontal "T" toward the left or the right)?

Thank you very much for everything

Stéphane

• eduardeduard Posts: 977

Hi Stephane,

As far as I know, Opensesame does not support rotation of either sketchpads or text. So the two possible solutions (that I can think of) are following:

1) Make an image of every unique letter in your experiment, and present the images on the canvas()
    2) Make a function drawT that takes x,y coordinates and an orientation as input, and draws your stimuli by combining two line into a meaningful shape

Good luck,

Eduard