Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

repeat cycle plug in works differently in different loops

Hello,

I am a very beginner in open sesame and first I want to say that it's great! :) I have, however, a problem with the repeat cycle plug-in and I hope someone can help me here.
I am creating a rhythm discrimination task in which two short rhythms are played after each other (from one sound file) and the participant has to decide whether they are the same with the possibility to repeat the sounds (as many times as they want to) before they answer.
I used the repeat cycle plug-in to implement it. What I wanted to do is to tell it that it has to repeat the stimulus if the participant presses r and move on to the next cycle if s or l are pressed - which are the yes and no answers.(=self.get("response") == "r"). The strange thing is that it works well for the practice loop but doesn't for the test loop - it moves on to the next cycle for all the three buttons (s,l,r). I have no idea why because the sequence is the same in these two loops and the loops have the exact same structure.
I attach some screenshots
Can someone help me with it? Thanks!

Enikő

Comments

• Hi Enikő,

If the order of a loop is random, then the repeat_cycle item doesn't repeat a cycle right away but rather re-uses it at some random later point. Is that simply the issue? I.e. that the cycle is repeated but that you're not noticing it because it's not repeated right away?

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Hello Sebastiaan,

Thank you very much for your response! I think you are right, that's what happening. And it doesn't work well in the practice loop either, probably I was just very lucky and got the repetition immediately after the trial. I don't know however, how to solve the problem... If I set the presentation order to sequential, it repeats the items at the end of the sequence and I would need them to be repeated immediately after the first presentation. Do you think that there is a way to solve it in a simple way with this structure or I have to create an own loop for each stimulus?

Thank you,

Enikő