Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Log Messages to EDF File

Hello CogSci Forum,

I am currently coding an eyetracking experiment and running into some difficulties figuring out how to log events to the EDF file (which is converted into an ASC file).

I noticed that when using the plugins for eye tracking (like the start recording) the message associated with it (start_trial) shows up in the EDF file along with a "time stamp".

I would like to log events such as stimulus presentation, auditory presentation, etc in order to temporally follow events in the experiment similar to the "start_trial" example mentioned above through an inline script.

I have used several iterations of the eyetracker.log() function. These include: EyeTracker.log(), exp.pygaze_eyetracker.log(), eyetracker.log() with no success.

I have tried using the EyeTracker.status_msg() function as well and it prints the message I type in, but only in the debug window.

I would like to synthesize the logged events to the EDF file, for it would make life much easier for interpreting the data of the experiment.

Am I missing something? How do I log messages into the EDF file?

Thanks for your time and help!

Comments

• Hi,

You can write messages to the EDF file like so:

eyetracker.log('my message!')

If that doesn't work, then the issue lies elsewhere. For example, you may be sending messages during the prepare phase, or the eye tracker may be set to dummy. Could it be something like that?

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot