Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

implementing videos in open sesame experiment and exporting it using OSWeb to run it in JATOS

Hello everyone,
I want to create a study including videos that are embedded in a randomization loop (and in a sequence) in Open Sesame, and afterwards run the experiment online (in JATOS). The OSWeb extension, which can in principle export the experiment to a JATOS-compatible format, can however not export videos (at least it does not like the media player mpy). In JATOS I would have the opportunity to include videos using video.js (also others, but this is the option I think best fits my purpose). But since I do not know (yet) how to implement video.js in a JATOS experiment (and if this is possible), I was hoping someone might have an idea for an easier solution (I am not a programmer).

Best wishes and thank you for any suggestions,
Juliane

Comments

• Hi Juliane,

OSWeb does indeed currently not support videos.

In JATOS I would have the opportunity to include videos using video.js (also others, but this is the option I think best fits my purpose). But since I do not know (yet) how to implement video.js in a JATOS experiment (and if this is possible), I was hoping someone might have an idea for an easier solution (I am not a programmer).

I think there's a misunderstanding about what JATOS is. JATOS is a platform for managing experiments (a dashboard, you could say), but not for building and running the experiments themselves. However, tools such as OSWeb, but also jsPsych and lab.js, allow you to create an experiment that can be managed by JATOS. Does that make sense? I appreciate that the distinction can be a bit subtle, but it's explained here:

jsPsych does support video, so that might be a good option. However, that would require some programming! I'm don't know of a way to show videos in an online experiment in a way that does not, currently, require programming.

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

Thanked by 1jzimmermann

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Hello Sebastiaan,

thank you for the information and your advice. I will see how I get this done.

Cheers,
    Juliane