Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Using the circumflex - button

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether there is a way to use the circumflex-button (the one looking like a roof, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumflex) in OS without having to press it twice in a row.

My goal is to implement a rating scale (likelikhood of remembering: 0% - 100%) in steps of 10%. On a German keyboard, however, the circumflex button is located next to the 1 and I would like to set the circumflex button as 0%, 1 as 10%, 2 as 20%, etc.

My problem now is that you need to press the circumflex button twice in order for OS to register the input. I know this is tight to the operating system, but I have seen this procedure work in E-Prime (i.e. pressing the circumflex button once and registering it as a valid input).

So, is there a way to achieve this within OS?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Florian

Comments

• Hi Florian,

I'm guessing you're using a German QWERTZ keyboard, given that the ^ is next to the 1? How keyboard layouts are handled exactly depends on the operating system, but generally speaking you can toggle between different modes (in Windows often with Ctrl+Shift), for example a mode that automatically combines diacritics (such as ^ ) with characters and a mode that doesn't.

Long story short: This behavior comes from the operating system, not from OpenSesame. So I would take a look at the keyboard-layout settings of the operating system!

Cheers,

Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot