Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Hedges' g or Cohen d

Dear all

I have a question for you guys. Recently, in a scientific Journal, I have had the following recommendation “Hedges' g should be used for very small sample sizes (<20), and it should be used over Cohen's d.”

Do you agree with this statement? In sports science and sport medicine, we have frequently less than 20 participants and could be a good point to think of Hedge's g.

Kind regards

Comments

• Dear all,

I have answered to my question using the following paper. If you have the same one, please read it. 

Lakens D. Calculating and reporting effect sizes to facilitate cumulative science: a practical primer for t-tests and ANOVAs. Front Psychol. 2013 Nov 26;4:863. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00863.

• If your conclusion depends crucially on whether you use Cohens's d or Hedge's g, this suggests that considerable caution is in order. But JASP provides both (I just saw we had a fix in our Hedges g -- a new JASP version comes out end up this month already)

Cheers,

E.J.