Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

[solved] What does loudness on voice-key script mean?

ezerkarezerkar Posts: 18
edited July 2013 in OpenSesame

Hi,

More than a year ago I've used the voice key to check the RT of naming.
Couple of days ago I was looking at my output again and noticed I've logged not only the onset time (i.e. when the loudness exceeds the designated threshold), but also the loudness itself, I've then start wondering if there is a connection between RT and loudness.
In order to check that I would like to know what are the units of the logged loudness and is the scale used log or linear?

Thanks in Advance

Ezer

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,950
    edited 10:51AM

Hi Ezer,

The loudness measure used here is Root Mean Square (RMS), which is non-logarithmic and in arbitrary units. To know how this translates to dB, you would need to test you set-up, because that depends on various factors, the most obvious of which is the microphone input volume.

Also note that the recorded loudness corresponds to the loudness of the audio chunk that triggered the response, not to the loudness of the entire response.

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• ezerkarezerkar Posts: 18
    edited 10:51AM

Thanks,
    The fact that the measure is linear is good enough for a quick test, if I'll find anything interesting , I'll repeat the experiment more carefully.

Ezer