Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Cohen's d does not correct for multiple comparisons

I am performing a mixed 2x2 ANOVA and when I explore the effect sizes of the post-hoc test t, there is a note: "Cohen's d does not correct for multiple comparisons". See attached file of post hoc comparisons, I am interested in Post-pre comparisons of both groups.

I was wondering if It would be correct to perform a dependent t test with the data of each group in order to obtain the effect size corrected. See attached file of paired samples t-test.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I have been thinking about it and I would like to express one possible idea, it would be great if someone could help me.

I have noticed that JASP compute Cohen's d by the formula d = t/sqrt(n), isn't it?

Then, if the post-hoc test reports the t value and I know the n, it would be correct to calculate the Cohen'sd using the above formula?

I accept any suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi Vicente,

I'm not an expert on frequentist methods for multiplicity correction. Have you Googled this? It does seem reasonable -- a little ad-hoc, but then again, it is a frequentist procedure :-) and there may be a rationale.

Cheers,

E.J.