Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Python crashes

Hello. I get an error that says:

Python seems to have crashed. This should not happen. If Python crashes often, please report it on the OpenSesame forum.

item-stack: 

I use: Windows-10-10.0.18362, OpenSesame 3.2.8, Python 2.7.13 .

Every experiment that i run crashes after the 27th trial.

Until today everything was normal. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Comments

• Hi,

Can you rerun the experiment without random order and see whether it still crashes on trial 27? If so, please provide more info on the experiment you are testing. Without these information it is impossible to say what the reason is for the crash.

Eduard

• Hello eduard. I reran the experiment without random order and it crashed again on trial 27. The experiment is a comparison between two videos (.mp4) ,each video lasts 3 seconds, and i use the vlc plugin. I noticed that when i tried to run a different experiment, with videos again, it crashed at the same trial. Other experiments with no videos seems to run fine.

• Hi,

If you remove the video(s) of trial 27 from the experiment, does the experiment still crash at trial 27?

Eduard

• Hi again. I run the experiment on sequential order and i remove the videos on trial 27 but again python crushed at that point.

• Okay. Can you share the experiment then?

• edited November 13

yes of course. You have to press any key to begin and then either z or m. Moreover I have already tried it on a different laptop and it didn't crush

• @eduard do you have any idea why this might happen??? Thanks again!

• Hi Rania,

Sorry for the late reply. I can't the script (I don't have the vlc player installed). If the error is consistent, it could be memory-related on your machine. You could try shorter or down-sampled videos to check whether the experiment would run longer in that case. If possible (I don't know the vlc plugin) you could try to close the videos after playing, or only load them once you need it (that is, don't put them in the pool, but in the experiment folder). To make sure that the problem is really related to the videos, you can also try to run it without them, but have images or so instead.

Unfortunately, errors when Python crashes are notoriously hard to debug as there is no error message, so the help I can offer is relatively limited.

• @eduard thank you so much for your time and help. I hope I will manage to find out what went wrong.