Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

NAs are not allowed in subscripted assignments

Hi! I am analyzing my data from a web experiment, and when I try to run this command:

sst_mt <- mt_import_mousetrap(df_sst, xpos_label = 'mouse_sst.x', ypos_label = 'mouse_sst.y', timestamps_label = 'mouse_sst.time')
sst_mt$data$pos_var <- apply(sst_mt$trajectories[,,"xpos"],1,var,na.rm=TRUE) + apply(sst_mt$trajectories[,,"ypos"],1,var,na.rm=TRUE)
# Check if there are trials with 0 variance (i.e., all positions are identical)
table(sst_mt$data$pos_var==0)
# Only keep trials where positions varied
sst_mt <- mt_subset(sst_mt, pos_var>0)
sst_mt <- mt_time_normalize(sst_mt)
sst_mt <- mt_align_start(sst_mt)
sst_mt <- mt_derivatives(sst_mt)
sst_mt <- mt_measures(sst_mt)

I get the following error message:

Error in current_dev_ideal[to_flip_dev_ideal] <- -current_dev_ideal[to_flip_dev_ideal] : 

as you can see, I have eliminated trials with no movement. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Hello,

I think you have to remove all the NA values in your data set. Are you sure you have removed all of the NA variables? If so, there should be no problem. 😊

• Hello

Despite removing all positions as spesified above like a.g.leontiev did I'm getting the same error. Can you explain how remove all the NAs from the mousetrap object @GoSugar please? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Hi there,

I also would speculate that the problem is due to missing values (NAs), probably missing values that are already occurring in the raw dataset (df_sst).

Usually, mt_import_mousetrap should to a good job at checking for missing values and throwing warning messages if there are any. Do you get any warning messages after running mt_import_mousetrap with your dataset and, if so, could you post them here?

Best,

Pascal

• I have re-run everything and it worked smoothly without throwing any error. I guess i just had to restart R?

I also have an (unrelated) question. Is there a way to calculate measures not over ALL trials, but let's say first half of the trials? Thank you so much!

• Great to hear things are running smoothly now!

Currently, there is no option in mousetrap that can calculate measures for only parts of the trial. However, depending on what measure you are interested in, functions like mt_deviations and mt_derivatives calculate deviatons from the idealized trajectory and velocity/accelerations for each time point, so you might use this as a starting point if you want to calculate a measure for a certain time point / part of the trial.

• edited August 2020

Hi Pascal thanks for getting back to me. This task is a flanker task run in Qualtrics, where the participants have to press start at the bottom of the screen then click on the top left or right depending which way the middle arrow is facing. I had to do a lot of preprocessing to get it into a format that is importable to mousetrap. I'm having issues with my code. When I just do mt_align there are no errors but the agregate trajectories aren't right:

mt_data <- mt_import_wide(mt_data1)

mt_data <- mt_count(mt_data, save_as = "data")

# Look at number of of recorded positions

table(mt_data$data$nobs)

# Only keep trials with more than 2 recorded positions

mt_data <- mt_subset(mt_data, nobs > 2)

# Calculate variance of positions for each trial

mt_data$data$pos_var <- apply(mt_data$trajectories[,,"xpos"],1,var,na.rm=TRUE) + apply(mt_data$trajectories[,,"ypos"],1,var,na.rm=TRUE)

table(mt_data$data$pos_var==0)

mt_data <- mt_subset(mt_data, pos_var>0)

mt_data <- mt_derivatives(mt_data)

mt_data<-mt_measures(mt_data, use = "trajectories",save_as="measures",

dimensions = c("xpos", "ypos"), timestamps = "timestamps",

verbose = FALSE)

mt_data <- mt_time_normalize(mt_data)

mt_data <- mt_spatialize(mt_data)

mt_data$trajectories[,,"ypos"] <- (-mt_data$trajectories[,,"ypos"])

mtdata1<-mt_align(mt_data)

mt_plot(mtdata1, use="trajectories", color="subj")

mt_plot_aggregate(mt_data, use="sp_trajectories", color="condition")

However as you can see this isn't right. If I just do mt_plot_aggregate(mt_data, use="trajectories", color="condition")

If I try to specify the start and end to something meaningful from the first figure :

mtdata1<-mt_align_start_end(mt_data, use = "trajectories", save_as = use,

dimensions = c("xpos", "ypos"), start = c(1250, -1250), end = c(0,0),

verbose = FALSE)

I get the following error:

Error in create_results(data = data, results = trajectories, use = use, :  object 'use' not found

In addition: Warning message: In mt_align_start_end(mt_data, use = "trajectories", save_as = use, : NaN/Inf/-Inf values returned in some trials for the dimension xpos as their start and end coordinate was identical.

Where as if I just specify mt_align further mtdata<-mt_align( mt_data, use = "trajectories", save_as = use, dimensions = c("xpos", "ypos"), coordinates = c(-1200,1200,-2500,0), align_start = TRUE, align_end = TRUE, align_side = "left", verbose = FALSE)

Error in trajectories[flip, , dimensions[1]] <- ((trajectories[flip, , :  NAs are not allowed in subscripted assignments

How can I still have NAs when I've removed trials without variance or <2positions? And why does mt_align work but not mt_align_start(end)

I really appreciate all your help. Thanks so much,

Polly

• I meant not in the first part of a trial, but let's say first 100 of ALL trials :)

• Oh Sorry there isn't an obvious error on import

>mt_data <- mt_import_wide(mt_data1)

No mt_id_label provided. A new trial identifying variable called mt_id was created.

No pos_ids provided. The following variables were found using grep:

397 variables found for timestamps.

397 variables found for xpos.

397 variables found for ypos.

• edited August 2020

Regarding @a.g.leontiev's question:

I am not completely sure what you mean with "I meant not in the first part of a trial, but let's say first 100 of ALL trials".

Do you mean you would only like to select a subset of trials for your analysis? If so, you could do this either using the basic R subset function before importing your data into mousetrap or using mt_subset afterwards. Assuming you have a variable that is your trial count (e.g., "count_trial"), the command would simply look like:

raw_data <- subset(raw_data, count_trial<=100)

or:

mt_data a- mt_subset(mt_data, count_trial<=100)

• edited August 2020

Regarding @P_Barr's question:

I think that there are still some problematic trials in your dataset that need to be excluded. Specifically, there is the above warning that you quote:

In addition: Warning message: In mt_align_start_end(mt_data, use = "trajectories", save_as = use, : NaN/Inf/-Inf values returned in some trials for the dimension xpos as their start and end coordinate was identical.

The warning suggest that in some trials the start and end point is identical which, if I understand your setup correctly, should not be possible (if participants click a start button at the bottom and then one of the response buttons at the top of the screen). One explanation for this that I can think of is that your task uses a time limit after which a trial is automatically aborted (i.e., there are trials without response possible). If so, these trials need to be excluded before importing them into mousetrap.

• Hi Pascal,

You are correct its not possible to have the same start and end position as they have to click start in the bottom center of the screen and then a left or right button at the top corners.

I don't think we included a timeout- participants are forced to click a response button to see the next trial. We did include an error message after they clicked a response button if they started too late (>800ms) or responded too late (>5000ms). I have excluded these prior to import (wide) and now the trajectories seem to automatically have an aligned start and end but I'm still having weird aggregate plotting issues:

mt_data1<-read.csv ("MT_data5.csv", header = TRUE, sep = ',')

# remove too long/timeout responses prior to import(https://forum.cogsci.nl/discussion/comment/20455#Comment_20455)

mt_data1 <- mt_data1[ which(mt_data1$init.time <800 & mt_data1$response_latency2<5000), ]

#import to MT

mt_data <- mt_import_wide(mt_data1)

mt_data <- mt_count(mt_data, save_as = "data")

# Look at number of of recorded positions

table(mt_data$data$nobs)

# Only keep trials with more than 2 recorded positions

mt_data <- mt_subset(mt_data, nobs > 2)

# Calculate variance of positions for each trial

mt_data$data$pos_var <- apply(mt_data$trajectories[,,"xpos"],1,var,na.rm=TRUE) + apply(mt_data$trajectories[,,"ypos"],1,var,na.rm=TRUE)

table(mt_data$data$pos_var==0)

mt_data <- mt_subset(mt_data, pos_var>0)

mt_data$trajectories[,,"ypos"] <- (-mt_data$trajectories[,,"ypos"])

mt_data <- mt_derivatives(mt_data)

mt_data<-mt_measures(mt_data, use = "trajectories",save_as="measures", dimensions = c("xpos", "ypos"), timestamps = "timestamps", verbose = FALSE)

mt_data <- mt_time_normalize(mt_data)

mt_data <- mt_spatialize(mt_data)

mt_plot(mt_data, use="trajectories", color="condition")

(as you can see it seems to be more aligned now)

mt_plot_aggregate(mt_data, use="sp_trajectories",color="condition")

mt_plot_aggregate(mt_data, use="trajectories",+          color="condition")

Warning message:

In mt_reshape(data = data, use = use, use_variables = use_variables, :

Trajectories differ in the number of logs. Aggregate trajectory data may be incorrect

If I try and do align_start_end (which I don't think I need to as it seems to be aligned) I get the same error message:

mtdata1<-mt_align_start_end(mt_data, use = "trajectories", save_as = use,dimensions = c("xpos", "ypos"), start = c(1250, -1250), end = c(0,0), verbose = FALSE)

Error in create_results(data = data, results = trajectories, use = use, :  object 'use' not found

In addition: Warning message:

In mt_align_start_end(mt_data, use = "trajectories", save_as = use, : NaN/Inf/-Inf values returned in some trials for the dimension xpos as their start and end coordinate was identical.

As always I really appreciate your help and any ideas

• Hi there,

I have the following ideas regarding the issues you mentioned above:

1) Flipping trajectories

In your preprocessing code, I did not see a step where you flip trajectories that ended on the right option to the left. If you do not do this, the resulting aggregate trajectory plot might be misleading as it aggregates trajectories that end on the left and end on the right option.

2) Aggregate trajectory plot:

To create the aggregate trajectory plot, you use:

mt_plot_aggregate(mt_data, use="trajectories", color="condition")

However, when plotting aggregate trajectories, you usually cannot use the raw trajectories as the number of recorded positions varies between trajectories (which is also why you get the warning message you quoted above: "Trajectories differ in the number of logs. Aggregate trajectory data may be incorrect"). Therefore, the resulting plot looks quite weird. Instead, you could use the time-normalized trajectories:

mt_plot_aggregate(mt_data, use="tn_trajectories", color="condition")

3) Start end alignment

The warning message you quoted "NaN/Inf/-Inf values returned in some trials for the dimension xpos as their start and end coordinate was identical." suggests that in some trials the x coordinate of the start and end position was identical (the y coordinate might vary). In this case, the function cannot normalize the trajectory start and end points. I don't know if an identical start and end x coordinate is possible in your setup, but if so, it might not make sense to use this function.

• Hi!

I am unfortunately having this issue again:#### 100 ms ####

m100msstop <- subset(mydata, vol == 1 & ssd == 0.1)

mt_sst <- mt_import_mousetrap(

+   m100msstop,

+   xpos_label = "mouse_sst.x",

+   ypos_label = "mouse_sst.y",

+   timestamps_label = "mouse_sst.time"

+  

+ )

There were 22 warnings (use warnings() to see them)

table(mt_sst$data$nobs)

mt_sst <- mt_count(mt_sst, save_as = "data")

table(mt_sst$data$nobs)

10  13  14  16  18  19  20  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50

2   1   1   1   4   1   5   2   3   1   8  11   8   6   9   9  10   6  10  13  19  20  17  14  28  12  20  20   8  20  17  18  21  23  15  16

51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86

24  19  16  22  23  15   6  15   7  12  10   7   9   7   4   5   6   3   5   3   4   2   3   6   6   1   3   4   8   4   4   9   5   8   5  12

87  88  89  90  91  98  99 109 212 214 215

15   7  62 732   1   1   1   1   1   6  39

mt_sst <- mt_subset(mt_sst, nobs > 2)

mt_sst$data$pos_var <- apply(mt_sst$trajectories[,,"xpos"],1,var,na.rm=TRUE) + apply(mt_sst$trajectories[,,"ypos"],1,var,na.rm=TRUE)

> table(mt_sst$data$pos_var==0)

FALSE  TRUE

1453   114

mt_sst <- mt_subset(mt_sst, pos_var>0)

# Calculate mouse-tracking derivatives for each position (distance, velocity, acceleration)
    mt_sst <- mt_derivatives(mt_sst)

# Calculate standard mouse-tracking measures

> mt_sst <- mt_measures(mt_sst)

Error in current_dev_ideal[to_flip_dev_ideal] <- -current_dev_ideal[to_flip_dev_ideal] :

# Demonstrate that sum of distances corresponds to total_dist measure

table(rowSums(mt_sst$trajectories[,,"dist"],na.rm=TRUE)-mt_sst$measures$total_dist)

< table of extent 0 >

# Set distances for timestamps beyond 600 ms to 0

mt_sst$trajectories[,,"dist"][mt_sst$trajectories[,,"timestamps"]<0.1] <- 0

mt_sst$measures$total_dist_100 <- rowSums(mt_sst$trajectories[,,"dist"],na.rm=TRUE)

stop_distance_100 <- mt_aggregate_per_subject(

+   mt_sst,

+   use="measures",

+   use_variables=c("total_dist_100"),

+   subject_id="File"

+ )

Error in dataset[, mt_id] <- rownames(dataset) :

incorrect number of subscripts on matrix

Any help would be greatly appreciated @Pascal . As you can see above, I tried removing trials with no movement, but I still get the same problem.

• Hi!

I am unfortunately having this issue again:#### 100 ms ####

m100msstop <- subset(mydata, vol == 1 & ssd == 0.1)

mt_sst <- mt_import_mousetrap(

+   m100msstop,

+   xpos_label = "mouse_sst.x",

+   ypos_label = "mouse_sst.y",

+   timestamps_label = "mouse_sst.time"

+  

+ )

table(mt_sst$data$nobs)

mt_sst <- mt_count(mt_sst, save_as = "data")

table(mt_sst$data$nobs)

10  13  14  16  18  19  20  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50

2   1   1   1   4   1   5   2   3   1   8  11   8   6   9   9  10   6  10  13  19  20  17  14  28  12  20  20   8  20  17  18  21  23  15  16

51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86

24  19  16  22  23  15   6  15   7  12  10   7   9   7   4   5   6   3   5   3   4   2   3   6   6   1   3   4   8   4   4   9   5   8   5  12

87  88  89  90  91  98  99 109 212 214 215

15   7  62 732   1   1   1   1   1   6  39

mt_sst <- mt_subset(mt_sst, nobs > 2)

mt_sst$data$pos_var <- apply(mt_sst$trajectories[,,"xpos"],1,var,na.rm=TRUE) + apply(mt_sst$trajectories[,,"ypos"],1,var,na.rm=TRUE)

> table(mt_sst$data$pos_var==0)

FALSE  TRUE

1453   114

mt_sst <- mt_subset(mt_sst, pos_var>0)

# Calculate mouse-tracking derivatives for each position (distance, velocity, acceleration)
    mt_sst <- mt_derivatives(mt_sst)

# Calculate standard mouse-tracking measures

> mt_sst <- mt_measures(mt_sst)

# Demonstrate that sum of distances corresponds to total_dist measure

table(rowSums(mt_sst$trajectories[,,"dist"],na.rm=TRUE)-mt_sst$measures$total_dist)

< table of extent 0 >

# Set distances for timestamps beyond 600 ms to 0

mt_sst$trajectories[,,"dist"][mt_sst$trajectories[,,"timestamps"]<0.1] <- 0

mt_sst$measures$total_dist_100 <- rowSums(mt_sst$trajectories[,,"dist"],na.rm=TRUE)

stop_distance_100 <- mt_aggregate_per_subject(

+   mt_sst,

+   use="measures",

+   use_variables=c("total_dist_100"),

+   subject_id="File"

+ )

Error in dataset[, mt_id] <- rownames(dataset) :

incorrect number of subscripts on matrix

Any help would be greatly appreciated @Pascal . As you can see above, I tried removing trials with no movement, but I still get the same problem.

• Hi there,

I have a questions to better understand the issue. In your code and output it says after running mt_import_mousetrap:

Have you inspected these warning messages and could post them here?

The error messages further down in your code (" NAs are not allowed in subscripted assignments") suggest that some trajectories might have a different number of recorded x/y-positions. This might already be in issue in the raw data, which could be raised by the wawrning messages in mt_import_mousetrap.

Best,

Pascal

• @Pascal Thank you for the prompt response. Here is the output, and I think you are correct, but how we get rid of it later so that we can still calculate stopping distance for a given time delay?

> warnings()
    Warning messages:
    1: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    2: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    3: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    4: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    5: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    6: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    7: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    8: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    9: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    10: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    11: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    12: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    13: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    14: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    15: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    16: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    17: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    18: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    19: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    20: In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : NAs introduced by coercion
    21: In mt_import_mousetrap(m100msstop, xpos_label = "mouse_sst.x",  ... :
      The following trials do not contain any logging data for at least one variable: id0371, id0688, id1092
    22: In mt_import_mousetrap(m100msstop, xpos_label = "mouse_sst.x",  ... :
      In the following trials, the number of logs is not the same for all variables: id0313, id0321, id0371, id0374, id0379, id0677, id0688, id0824, id0825, id0933, id0934, id0939, id1092, id1432, id1437, id1439, id1460, id1466, id1467

• Hi there,

if you only want to exclude the probelamtic trials, one "quick and dirty" solution could be to just exclude the ids that were reported directly after mt_import_mousetrap with mt_subset:

m100msstop <- mt_subset(m100msstop,
      !mt_id %in% c("id0371", "id0688", "id1092", "id0313", "id0321", "id0371", "id0374", "id0379", "id0677", "id0688", "id0824", "id0825", "id0933", "id0934", "id0939", "id1092", "id1432", "id1437", "id1439", "id1460", "id1466", "id1467")
    )

However, it would probably be better to explore why this warning occurs by closer inspecting the raw data and the tool that was used to collect that mouse-tracking data.

Best,

Pascal

• Hi @Pascal ,

I hope you are well and safe. :)

This is my first time analysing mousetracking data, and I am having issues with NA values in my dataset. Below is my step-by-step approach to the analysis as I don't know what I am doing wrong.

gorilla.traj <- PMousetrackingFile_idNo %>% 
      filter(type == "mouse", screen_index == 10) %>% 
      select(id_no, time_stamp, spreadsheet_row,x_normalised,y_normalised) %>% 
      mutate(id_no = as.factor(id_no), spreadsheet_row = as.factor(spreadsheet_row)) %>% 
      group_by(id_no)

describe(gorilla.traj)

5  Variables      195209  Observations
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    id_no 
           n  missing distinct 
      195209        0       55 

lowest : 7   9   15  17  22 , highest: 202 203 206 209 212
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    time_stamp 
           n  missing distinct     Info     Mean      Gmd      .05      .10      .25      .50      .75      .90      .95 
      195209        0   192727        1   621823   323618   201927   257476   400856   610351   815278   969547  1065560 

lowest :    8695    9217    9219    9224    9227, highest: 1973204 1973221 1973236 1973254 1973270
    spreadsheet_row 
           n  missing distinct 
      195209        0       39 

lowest : 7  8  9  12 13, highest: 66 67 70 71 72
    x_normalised 
           n  missing distinct     Info     Mean      Gmd      .05      .10      .25      .50      .75      .90      .95 
      195209        0    46169        1   0.4917   0.3607  0.06262  0.09190  0.17660  0.49772  0.80251  0.90887  0.94000 

lowest : -0.3099195 -0.3073188 -0.3021172 -0.2904137 -0.2894147, highest:  1.2660000  1.2670000  1.2682648  1.2785388  1.3189338
    y_normalised 
      195209        0    22650        1   0.6986   0.2856   0.1355   0.1987   0.5439   0.8259   0.8995   0.9367   0.9597 

lowest : -0.024237934 -0.017464014 -0.006456393  0.000000000  0.001265823, highest:  1.028259949  1.029106689  1.029953429  1.030800169  1.031646909

gorilla.mt<-mt_import_long(gorilla.traj,xpos_label="x_normalised",ypos_label="y_normalised",timestamps_label="time_stamp",
                               mt_id_label= c("spreadsheet_row", "id_no"), reset_timestamps = FALSE)

Then I get a warning message:

No mt_seq variable found (that indicates the order of the logs). Importing data in sequential order.

summary(gorilla.mt[["trajectories"]] )
     Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.    NA's 
          0       1       1  207275  400850 1973270 3604452 

gorilla.mt<-mt_measures(gorilla.mt, use = "trajectories",save_as="measures",
                            verbose = FALSE)

With the above, I get the following warning:

Trajectories detected where first timestamp is greater than 0. Please see Details section of mt_measures documentation for interpretation of time related measures.

then I load the behavioural data:

summary(gorilla.response.attempts)

id_no       Participant.Private.ID Spreadsheet.Row     Trial            RT           Response            Accuracy          Error        
     Min.   :  7.0   Min.   :1943563        Min.   :12.00   Min.   : 1.0   Min.   : 623.9   Length:1917        Min.   :0.0000   Min.   :0.00000  
     1st Qu.: 69.0   1st Qu.:1976817        1st Qu.:24.00   1st Qu.: 9.0   1st Qu.:1685.5   Class :character   1st Qu.:1.0000   1st Qu.:0.00000  
     Median :132.0   Median :1985749        Median :40.00   Median :18.0   Median :2137.9   Mode  :character   Median :1.0000   Median :0.00000  
     Mean   :121.1   Mean   :1994624        Mean   :41.83   Mean   :18.4   Mean   :2331.1                      Mean   :0.9103   Mean   :0.08972  
     3rd Qu.:176.0   3rd Qu.:2010123        3rd Qu.:56.00   3rd Qu.:27.0   3rd Qu.:2808.0                      3rd Qu.:1.0000   3rd Qu.:0.00000  
     Max.   :212.0   Max.   :2078610        Max.   :72.00   Max.   :36.0   Max.   :4978.2                      Max.   :1.0000   Max.   :1.00000  
     target_audio       target_shape       targetFixPos        isTargPosFix        Block          status             Group           TeachingCycle     
     Length:1917        Length:1917        Length:1917        Min.   :0.0000   Min.   :1.000   Length:1917        Length:1917        Length:1917       
     Class :character   Class :character   Class :character   1st Qu.:0.0000   1st Qu.:1.000   Class :character   Class :character   Class :character  
     Mode  :character   Mode  :character   Mode  :character   Median :0.0000   Median :2.000   Mode  :character   Mode  :character   Mode  :character  
                                                              Mean   :0.4956   Mean   :1.992                                                           
                                                              3rd Qu.:1.0000   3rd Qu.:3.000                                                           
                                                              Max.   :1.0000   Max.   :3.000                                                           
     medianGroupTemporary isTargPosFixFactor
     Length:1917          Fixed :950        
     Class :character     Varied:967        
     Mode  :character                       

I then add columns to the dataset:

gorilla.mt[["data"]]$condition<-
      gorilla.response.attempts$isTargPosFixFactor[match(gorilla.mt[["data"]]$spreadsheet_row,gorilla.response.attempts$Spreadsheet.Row)]

gorilla.mt[["data"]]$Correct<-
      gorilla.response.attempts$Accuracy[match(gorilla.mt[["data"]]$spreadsheet_row,gorilla.response.attempts$Spreadsheet.Row)]

gorilla.mt[["data"]]$TypeReader<-
      gorilla.response.attempts$medianGroupTemporary[match(gorilla.mt[["data"]]$spreadsheet_row,gorilla.response.attempts$Spreadsheet.Row)]

gorilla.traj.rectangles <- PofflishMousetrackingFile
    matrix.contents<-c("click", "leftrecording","rightRecording")
    matrix.data<-filter(gorilla.traj.rectangles, zone_name %in% matrix.contents)
    matrix.data<-matrix.data[1:length(matrix.contents),c("zone_x_normalised","zone_y_normalised","zone_width_normalised","zone_height_normalised")]
    rectangles<-as.matrix(sapply(matrix.data, as.numeric)) 
    rectangles<-unname(rectangles)

When I try to plot the trajectories, there is a third condition (i.e. NA) which should not be there:

mt_plot(gorilla.mt,use="trajectories",use2="data",x="xpos",y="ypos",points=TRUE,color="condition")+
      mt_plot_add_rect(rect=rectangles,color="black",fill="NA",alpha=0.2)+
      xlab("X axis position")+
      ylab("Y axis position")+
      theme_classic()

When I try to plot according to TypeReader, it shows NA instead of Above.:

mt_plot(gorilla.mt,use="trajectories",use2="data",x="xpos",y="ypos",points=TRUE,color="TypeReader")+
      xlab("X axis position")+
      ylab("Y axis position")+
      theme_classic()

gorilla.mt <- mt_remap_symmetric(gorilla.mt)

gorilla.mt <- mt_time_normalize(gorilla.mt)

collapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' values

gorilla.mt <- mt_subset(gorilla.mt, Correct==1)

mt_plot_aggregate(gorilla.mt, use="tn_trajectories",x="xpos", y="ypos", color="condition",subject_id="id_no")+theme_classic()

The above does not look correct.

mt_plot_aggregate(gorilla.mt, use="tn_trajectories",x="xpos", y="ypos", color="TypeReader",subject_id="id_no")

in the plot above, NA is no longer present, but neither is Above

My apologies for such lengthy post!

This is my first time doing mousetracking analysis and I am not super skilled at R.

Thanks!

• Hi @Pascal ,

I hope you are well and safe. :)

This is my first time analysing mousetracking data, and I am having issues with NA values in my dataset. Below is my step-by-step approach to the analysis as I don't know what I am doing wrong.

gorilla.traj <- Pf_idNo %>% 
      filter(type == "mouse", screen_index == 10) %>% 
      select(id_no, time_stamp, spreadsheet_row,x_normalised,y_normalised) %>% 
      mutate(id_no = as.factor(id_no), spreadsheet_row = as.factor(spreadsheet_row)) %>% 
      group_by(id_no)

describe(gorilla.traj)

5  Variables      195209  Observations
    id_no 
           n  missing distinct 
      195209        0       55 

time_stamp 
      195209        0   192727        1   621823   323618   201927   257476   400856   610351   815278   969547  1065560 

lowest :    8695    9217    9219    9224    9227, highest: 1973204 1973221 1973236 1973254 1973270
    spreadsheet_row 
           n  missing distinct 
      195209        0       39 

lowest : 7  8  9  12 13, highest: 66 67 70 71 72
    x_normalised 
      195209        0    46169        1   0.4917   0.3607  0.06262  0.09190  0.17660  0.49772  0.80251  0.90887  0.94000 

lowest : -0.3099195 -0.3073188 -0.3021172 -0.2904137 -0.2894147, highest:  1.2660000  1.2670000  1.2682648  1.2785388  1.3189338
    y_normalised 
      195209        0    22650        1   0.6986   0.2856   0.1355   0.1987   0.5439   0.8259   0.8995   0.9367   0.9597 

lowest : -0.024237934 -0.017464014 -0.006456393  0.000000000  0.001265823, highest:  1.028259949  1.029106689  1.029953429  1.030800169  1.031646909

gorilla.mt<-mt_import_long(gorilla.traj,xpos_label="x_normalised",ypos_label="y_normalised",timestamps_label="time_stamp",
                               mt_id_label= c("spreadsheet_row", "id_no"), reset_timestamps = FALSE)

Then I get a warning message:

No mt_seq variable found (that indicates the order of the logs). Importing data in sequential order.

0       1       1  207275  400850 1973270 3604452 

verbose = FALSE)

Trajectories detected where first timestamp is greater than 0. Please see Details section of mt_measures documentation for interpretation of time related measures.

then I load the behavioural data:

summary(gorilla.response.attempts)

id_no       Participant.Private.ID Spreadsheet.Row     Trial            RT           Response            Accuracy          Error        
     Min.   :  7.0   Min.   :1943563        Min.   :12.00   Min.   : 1.0   Min.   : 623.9   Length:1917        Min.   :0.0000   Min.   :0.00000  
     1st Qu.: 69.0   1st Qu.:1976817        1st Qu.:24.00   1st Qu.: 9.0   1st Qu.:1685.5   Class :character   1st Qu.:1.0000   1st Qu.:0.00000  
     Median :132.0   Median :1985749        Median :40.00   Median :18.0   Median :2137.9   Mode  :character   Median :1.0000   Median :0.00000  
     Mean   :121.1   Mean   :1994624        Mean   :41.83   Mean   :18.4   Mean   :2331.1                      Mean   :0.9103   Mean   :0.08972  
     3rd Qu.:176.0   3rd Qu.:2010123        3rd Qu.:56.00   3rd Qu.:27.0   3rd Qu.:2808.0                      3rd Qu.:1.0000   3rd Qu.:0.00000  
     Max.   :212.0   Max.   :2078610        Max.   :72.00   Max.   :36.0   Max.   :4978.2                      Max.   :1.0000   Max.   :1.00000  
     target_audio       target_shape       targetFixPos        isTargPosFix        Block          status             Group           TeachingCycle     
     Length:1917        Length:1917        Length:1917        Min.   :0.0000   Min.   :1.000   Length:1917        Length:1917        Length:1917       
     Class :character   Class :character   Class :character   1st Qu.:0.0000   1st Qu.:1.000   Class :character   Class :character   Class :character  
     Mode  :character   Mode  :character   Mode  :character   Median :0.0000   Median :2.000   Mode  :character   Mode  :character   Mode  :character  
                                                              Mean   :0.4956   Mean   :1.992                                                           
                                                              3rd Qu.:1.0000   3rd Qu.:3.000                                                           
                                                              Max.   :1.0000   Max.   :3.000                                                           
     medianGroupTemporary isTargPosFixFactor
     Length:1917          Fixed :950        
     Class :character     Varied:967        
     Mode  :character                       

I then add columns to the dataset:

gorilla.mt[["data"]]$condition<-
      gorilla.response.attempts$isTargPosFixFactor[match(gorilla.mt[["data"]]$spreadsheet_row,gorilla.response.attempts$Spreadsheet.Row)]

gorilla.mt[["data"]]$Correct<-
      gorilla.response.attempts$Accuracy[match(gorilla.mt[["data"]]$spreadsheet_row,gorilla.response.attempts$Spreadsheet.Row)]

gorilla.mt[["data"]]$TypeReader<-
      gorilla.response.attempts$medianGroupTemporary[match(gorilla.mt[["data"]]$spreadsheet_row,gorilla.response.attempts$Spreadsheet.Row)]

gorilla.traj.rectangles <- PofflishMousetrackingFile
    matrix.contents<-c("click", "leftrecording","rightRecording")
    matrix.data<-filter(gorilla.traj.rectangles, zone_name %in% matrix.contents)
    matrix.data<-matrix.data[1:length(matrix.contents),c("zone_x_normalised","zone_y_normalised","zone_width_normalised","zone_height_normalised")]
    rectangles<-as.matrix(sapply(matrix.data, as.numeric)) 
    rectangles<-unname(rectangles)

When I try to plot the trajectories, there is a third condition (i.e. NA) which should not be there:

mt_plot(gorilla.mt,use="trajectories",use2="data",x="xpos",y="ypos",points=TRUE,color="condition")+
      xlab("X axis position")+
      ylab("Y axis position")+
      theme_classic()

When I try to plot according to TypeReader, it shows NA instead of Above.:

mt_plot(gorilla.mt,use="trajectories",use2="data",x="xpos",y="ypos",points=TRUE,color="TypeReader")+
      xlab("X axis position")+
      ylab("Y axis position")+
      theme_classic()

https://forum.cogsci.nl/uploads/780/42QI8B63POT1.png There was an error displaying this embed.

collapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' valuescollapsing to unique 'x' values

gorilla.mt <- mt_subset(gorilla.mt, Correct==1)

mt_plot_aggregate(gorilla.mt, use="tn_trajectories",x="xpos", y="ypos", color="condition",subject_id="id_no")+theme_classic()

The above does not look correct.

mt_plot_aggregate(gorilla.mt, use="tn_trajectories",x="xpos", y="ypos", color="TypeReader",subject_id="id_no")

https://forum.cogsci.nl/uploads/192/WXMEGMPA3K1C.png There was an error displaying this embed.

in the plot above, NA is no longer present, but neither is Above

My apologies for such lengthy post!

This is my first time doing mousetracking analysis, and I am not super skilled at R.

Thanks!

• Hi there,

before answering your question, I would like to point out that I am not familiar with the Gorilla data format so I can probably only give you more general advice on how to format your data in a way that they are processed by mouestrap correctly.

The general logic when you import data into mousetrap is that you import all the data you need already in the mt_import_long step and do not add variables to the data part afterwards (I am not saying that this is not possible but if you do it the other way this should ensure all data are assigned to the correct trajectory).

In your case this would mean that you should merge gorilla.mt and gorilla.response.attempts datasets (using the trial identifying variable(s)). In the resulting dataset, each response variable would then be stretched across the complete trial (with a constant value per trial). This dataset could then be imported with mt_import_long in the same way you are doing it above.

Regarding the aggregate plots, I can only speculate but I would guess that you have both trajectories in the data that end on a option on the left and that end on an option on the right which is why the aggregate looks weird and somewhere in between. Usually you you remap all trajectories before plotting so that all trajectories end on the same response option side.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Pascal

• Hi @Pascal ,

Thank you for your response!

I have followed your advice and added the additional columns prior to importing the data as a mousetrap object. However, I am having some odd issues now.

Below is the structure of the mousetracking and behavioural data together:

str(MousetrackingBehavioural)

'data.frame':	148669 obs. of  8 variables:
     $ id_no               : Factor w/ 56 levels "7","9","15","17",..: 35 35 35 35 35 35 35 35 35 35 ...
     $ spreadsheet_row     : Factor w/ 39 levels "12","13","14",..: 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 ...
     $ Accuracy            : int  1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 ...
     $ isTargPosFixFactor  : Factor w/ 2 levels "Fixed","Varied": 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 ...
     $ medianGroupTemporary: chr  "Below" "Below" "Below" "Below" ...
     $ time_stamp          : num  220544 220802 220818 220836 220851 ...
     $ x_normalised        : num  0.469 0.47 0.47 0.473 0.475 ...
     $ y_normalised        : num  0.164 0.164 0.166 0.171 0.178 ...

MousetrackingBehavioural

8  Variables      148669  Observations
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    id_no 
           n  missing distinct 
      148669        0       55 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    spreadsheet_row 
           n  missing distinct 
      148669        0       36 

lowest : 12 13 14 17 18, highest: 66 67 70 71 72
    Accuracy 
           n  missing distinct     Info     Mean      Gmd 
      148669        0        1        0        1        0 

Value           1
    Frequency  148669
    Proportion      1
    isTargPosFixFactor 
           n  missing distinct 
      148669        0        2 

Value       Fixed Varied
    Frequency   72436  76233
    Proportion  0.487  0.513
    medianGroupTemporary 
           n  missing distinct 
      148669        0        2 

Value      Above Below
    Frequency  78774 69895
    Proportion  0.53  0.47
    time_stamp 
      148669        0   147062        1   648164   301675   241208   313780   458555   638205   822583   973607  1045907 

lowest :   18929.72   18937.84   18947.16   18954.54   18971.31, highest: 1973203.63 1973220.59 1973236.13 1973253.95 1973270.41
    x_normalised 
      148669        0    40447        1   0.4974    0.363  0.06279  0.09206  0.17841  0.50123  0.81776  0.91278  0.94355 

lowest : -0.3099195 -0.3073188 -0.3021172 -0.2904137 -0.2796804, highest:  1.2660000  1.2670000  1.2682648  1.2785388  1.3189338
    y_normalised 
      148669        0    21175        1   0.6967   0.2892   0.1338   0.1952   0.5329   0.8252   0.9007   0.9387   0.9620 

lowest : 0.000000000 0.001265823 0.001434720 0.002869440 0.004225352, highest: 1.028259949 1.029106689 1.029953429 1.030800169 1.031646909

gorilla.mt<-mt_import_long(gorilla.traj, xpos_label="x_normalised", ypos_label="y_normalised", timestamps_label="time_stamp",
                               mt_id_label= c("id_no", "spreadsheet_row"))

the above throws the following warning:

When I check the trajectories, I can see that there are lots of NAs:

-0.8     0.1     0.7   335.3   437.0  4781.6 2645277 

I don't quite understand why there are so many NAs since there doesn't seem to be NAs in the raw data.

verbose = FALSE)

gorilla.mt <-mt_count(gorilla.mt, save_as = "data")
    gorilla.mt <- mt_subset(gorilla.mt, nobs > 2)
    gorilla.mt$data$pos_var <- apply(gorilla.mt$trajectories[,,"xpos"],1,var,na.rm=TRUE) + apply(gorilla.mt$trajectories[,,"ypos"],1,var,na.rm=TRUE)
    table(gorilla.mt$data$pos_var==0)
    gorilla.mt <- mt_subset(gorilla.mt, pos_var>0)

There are 36 trials per participant, so not sure if the below make sense:

nrow(gorilla.mt$data)
    nrow(gorilla.mt$measures)
    [1] 1692
    [1] 1692

gorilla.mt <- mt_derivatives(gorilla.mt)
    gorilla.mt <- mt_align_start(gorilla.mt)
    gorilla.mt <- mt_measures(gorilla.mt)
    gorilla.mt <- mt_measures(gorilla.mt,use="tn_trajectories",save_as="tn_measures")

mt_aggregate(gorilla.mt, use="measures",use_variables=c("MAD", "AD"), use2_variables="medianGroupTemporary", subject_id="id_no")

medianGroupTemporary
    <chr>
    MAD
    <dbl>
    AD
    <dbl>
    Above	0.2274615	0.07535122		
    Below	0.2848648	0.09394984	

mt_plot_aggregate(gorilla.mt, use="tn_trajectories",x="xpos", y="ypos", color="medianGroupTemporary",subject_id="id_no")+theme_classic()

The above is obviously wrong. Now, the odd behaviour is: if I repeat the following steps immediately after:

gorilla.mt <- mt_align_start(gorilla.mt)
    gorilla.mt <- mt_measures(gorilla.mt)

this is the plot i get:

Why does it work the second time around, but not the first?

I have ey

• oops, I accidentally didn't finish the above.

I have already cleaned the global environment and restarted R several times, but the above keeps happening.

Thank you once again, @Pascal :) I really appreciate your help!

Have a nice week!

• Hi there,

regarding the question if nrow(gorilla.mt$data) = 1692 makes sense?

If you have 36 trials per participants, then you should have 47 participants in there as nrow should be the total number of trials in the data (i.e., number of participants * number of trials / participant).

Regarding the NAs: this is in general no reason to worry as mousetrap internally represents the trajectories in an array and has to fill up shorter trajectories with NAs up to the length of the longest trajectory in the data.

Regarding the odd plot: I think the explanation is the following: mt_remap_symmetric only works if you have a centered coordinate system - see documentation, e.g., here: http://pascalkieslich.github.io/mousetrap/reference/mt_remap_symmetric.html

This does not seem to be the case in your raw data. However, once you align your trajectories with mt_align_start(gorilla.mt), the function actually works (at least with regard to mirroring all trajectories that end on the right option to the left). So you should be able to reproduce the desired behavior when running the code once but first calling mt_align_start and then mt_remap_symmtetric.

Best,

Pascal

• edited April 2021

Hi @Pascal,

Thank you so much for your swift reply.

It is working now! Thank you for clarifying! It all makes sense now!

Cheers