Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Create self-paced reading experiments

NiuNiu
edited March 18 in OpenSesame

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use OpenSesame to create an self-paced reading experiment. I want it to show one word each time, and I need to collect rection times of each word.

For example:

The

cat

that

I attempted to create a sequence including several 'sketchpads' and 'keyboard_responses' , but I noticed the sentences are in different lengths, so it doesn't work very well. For example, I have some sentences with 10 words, and some with 8 words. In order to accommodate the 10-word sentences, I need to create 10 sketchpads. But for 8-word senteces, it will be 2 blank sketchpads.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to solve it?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Hi,

You can set the run if fields of the last items (9 and 10), to only run if the sentence length is 10 words. That means that you have a variable that indicates the length of a sentence.

Does this make sense?

Eduard

• Hi Eduard,

Thanks a lot for your help!!! It's really helpful!

But may I ask how to set run if condition? And I'm also not quite sure about how to set the variable. I did following changes, but it didn't work very well. Do you have some suggestions about it?

Thanks a lot indeed!

Best wishes

Niu

• Hi Niu,

you started the right way (as I can see from your last screenshot, where you put `[s9]=1`). This is how you change the run if field. What you need to do to make your experiment work is adding a variable to the loop table that indicates how many words a sentence has and assign value saccording to its length (e.g. variable sentence_length could have the value 8 if there are 8 words in that sentence). Now, you can put in the run if field something like this: `[sentence_length]>8` for the 9th and 10th word.

Does that make sense?

Edurad

• Hi Edurad,

Thanks very much indeed! It works very well!!!

Many thanks

Best wishes