Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

visual attention task with a grid of squares

Hallo,

I am looking for advice! Premise: I have no experience with Python (I used OpenSesame in the past, but with simpler experiments)

I want to program an experiment in which the participant sees a grid of squares (say 30 x 30) on a tablet pc. The participant puts the finger in a central position (eg fixation dot) and as soon as s/he reaches this position, one of the square of the grid change the color. The participant has to touch the specific square and go back to the central position. Then the next trial begins.

I need to present the colored squares in random position but half on the left and half on the right of the screen/grid)…and of course I need to register if the participant press on the right square.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated!

Comments

• Hi Tania,

I attach a tutorial that includes instructions how to create a grid on the screen. As for the touch, you need to use the mouse functionality: https://osdoc.cogsci.nl/3.2/manual/python/mouse/

Basically, you need to repeatedly sample the current positions of the mouse (or in your case your finger), until the coordinates fall within a certain cell of your grid. Then you can draw a square at that position until the finger is back in the center. Maybe the Mousetrap plugin could also be of use for you.

I need to present the colored squares in random position but half on the left and half on the right of the screen/grid)

In the loop table, you can have a variable that is either left or right, and depending on that variable you can assign the target to a specific position in the grid.

I suggest you get started on the displays and once it looks like it should, you can think about adding the touch response.

Good luck,

Eudard