OpenSesame Beginner: Trial blocks help
Hello everyone, I hope everything is fine.
My name is Nuria, I am a physical therapist and PhD student and I have never worked with any software aimed to program experiments. I would like to run the following experimental task, hope someone might help me:
- TASK: discriminate left/right images by pressing a button.
- TRIAL: Fixation cross + show an image (maximum 5000ms) and record answer (left/right) and RTs.
- SETS OF TRIALS (BLOCKS): blocks of 40 images constitute one set. I would like to allow breaks between blocks. We need to run 12 blocks of 40 images.
I have checked this tutorial ( and I learned the generalities OpSes. As it is showed, I have defined a "new_loop" with my variables and I have achieved 32 lines. I would like to run 15 trials of each condition (480 images). I don't know if I have made a mistake, maybe I should set the loop just for one condition... I have already programed one trial (just one image), but when I run the experiment this image keeps being showed up to 32 times (which should not happen, because the conditions set are for ALL the experiment and not for single blocks) - I mean, maybe one block only shows 8 conditions. Thus, I have the following QUESTIONS:
- Every single image is different (12*40= 480 different images). Shall I set a "new_sequence" for every single image? Shall I define "loops" in this case?
- How can I organize the trials in blocks? Is there any possibility to randomize the blocks?
My biggest problem is the organization of blocks and trials, but I am really interested in learning. I think it is an easy experimental structure, but I have no previous experience in this field and I would really appreciate so much to receive some help.
Thank you very much for your interest in reading my problem, hope I might be able to help some day!