Two-second delay after logger
I would like to ask for advice regarding an unexpected delay of two seconds after a logger. The issue resembles others previously reported (https://forum.cogsci.nl/discussion/1260/open-timing-accuracy-and-stimuli-onset-times).
I have done the math to calculate the delay between the logger, which is the last part of the trial, and the first part of the next trial. I provide a screenshot of the calculation made in Excel, where I interleaved extra rows to place the calculations.
The image depicts the initial trials (1--8) and the final trials (34--39) in a block (after which participants have a break). I hid the rows containing the intermediary trials to facilitate the visualisation.
The result shows a varying delay of around 2 seconds on average.
It would be very helpful for us if we could cut down this delay, as it adds up. To try to achieve this, I reduced the number of variables logged, from the default 363 to 34 important variables. Unfortunately, this change did not result in a reduction of the delay.
I would be very grateful if someone could please have a look at the session to see if something else could be tried. If need be, we will of course remove our intertrial interval item to partly reduce the overall ITI.
If you would be so kind, please download the session materials at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ahr--GntSKxIEUtTMp_YtqVhpvwEAWQF?usp=sharing. After extracting the materials, please start the session and follow the next steps:
- for the subject number, please enter 1 or 3 or 5 ... (an odd number between 1 and 143);
- press the letter C twice to advance beyond the first message screen;
- select the 'Experiment' checkbox and click on the Confirm button;
- press the letter C twice to advance beyond any of the screens containing orange-coloured stripes;
- press the space bar twice to advance beyond the other instruction screens;
- the experiment will begin then. Please complete a few trials by right-clicking or left-clicking at the end of the succession of single words.
- after a few trials, quit the experiment by pressing ESC.
- please find the logfile in the main directory. Using this logfile, please consider verifying the delay I have reported. To this end, please enter a new row above after the third row. Therein, please enter the formula
=AD4-AC4in the AO column, and then enter the formula
=AB6-AD4-AD5in the AF column.
Thank you very much for reading this and for any further attention.