Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Running survey experiments

edited January 2016 in OpenSesame

Hi,

I'm looking into the possibility of using OpenSesame to design, test and run survey experiments. I've previously used Qualtrics for this purpose, but I would like to switch to something open-sourced. From a cursory look at the tutorials, it looks like OpenSesame might work for me. But what I don't really understand is how to actually run an experiment and collect survey responses. Can I get a survey experiment designed in OpenSesame up and running online somehow?

Another question I have is whether OpenSesame supports Arabic and Hebrew text in experiment items.

Thanks in advance,

A potential new user.

Comments

• edited 6:41AM

Hi Sophia,

Let's answer your second question first: yes, that's possible. When you start up a new experiment, the item at the top of the overview (called "New experiment" by default) will show you some settings, one of which is the font. Clicking on this, you will see an arab and hebrew option.

As for your first question: this could be tricky. In the end, all OpenSesame experiments are just python scripts, so if you can run python code from your own website it should be possible in theory. @Sebastiaan, do you know if there's an easy way to do this?

Cheers,

Josh

• edited 6:41AM

As for your first question: this could be tricky. In the end, all OpenSesame experiments are just python scripts, so if you can run python code from your own website it should be possible in theory. @Sebastiaan, do you know if there's an easy way to do this?

I'm afraid not. Running Python in a browser isn't really possible, at least not in the way needed for OpenSesame. (There are IPython notebooks and Skulpt, but they don't really fit the bill.)

If you're looking for open-source, online survey software, LimeSurvey comes to mind. I've personally never used it, but it's quite widely used, I believe.

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot