Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Text's anchor point

Dear OS community,

I'm working on a task in which the sizes of two characters are changing.

I'm presenting two letters in different sizes side-by-side, and I would like to keep the distance between their centers as constant as possible but it seems like that's not working. for example with this code:

my_canvas = Canvas()
my_canvas['LeftText'] = Text(str(var.Left), x= -100, y=0, center=True,font_size=var.SizeLeft)
my_canvas['RightText'] = Text(str(var.Right), x= 100, y=0, center=True, font_size=var.SizeRight)
my_canvas.show()

It seems that some size changes make the digit to be presented "lower" in the screen.
I think that the problem is the anchor point of the characters, which is not centered per characters (Top left maybe?).

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
SH

Comments

• Hi SH,

Indeed, the text is rendered as a bitmap that just fits around the text, and then the center of this bitmap is used as an anchor point. This can cause offsets, which is a known issue.

For now, a workaround would be to embed both strings in a template that contains letters that use the full vertical range (like 'y' and 'X' in most fonts). To avoid these letters from being visible, you can use a <span>. Like so:

var.SizeLeft = 32
    var.SizeRight = 32
    var.Left = 'la'
    var.Right = 'phrase'

template = '<span style="color:black;">yX</span>%s<span style="color:black;">yX</span>'

my_canvas = Canvas()
    my_canvas['LeftText'] = Text(template % var.Left, x= -100, y=0, center=True,font_size=var.SizeLeft)
    my_canvas['RightText'] = Text(template % var.Right, x= 100, y=0, center=True, font_size=var.SizeRight)
    my_canvas.show()

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Dear Sebastiaan,

Thanks you very much for your answer (and for OpenSesame:smile:)!

Yet, I'm not sure it's fully answering my problem because now the stimuli are overlapping (see pic as an example) .

Is there anything I missed? Unfortunately, I can't really change the sizes i'm using...

Best,
    SH

• One way I can see around that is to make the text almost transparent, using the rbga() color definition. If you make the text completely transparent (rgba(0,0,0,0)) the bounding-box issue will re-emerge. But if you use an alpha of 0.01 it should look good.

template = '<span style="color:rgba(0,0,0,0.01);">yX</span>%s<span style="color:rgba(0,0,0,0.01);">yX</span>'

Thanked by 1S_H

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• This is just perfect. Thank you so much!