Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Touch Experiment works fine in OS but doesn't work properly in web browser

Hey,

I have prepared a Stroop task as an touch experiment and it works fine when I run it via OS window mode. The compatibility check tells me that no problems are detected, but when I want to run the experiment in my browser, I get the message "TypeError: o is undefined" when moving from instructions to the first trial. Also, I don't get any information in the console to see which line causes the error (probably somewhere where the first trials begin). Do you have any idea where to look for the solution?

Thanks, Mad

Comments

  • Hi Mad,

    Could you upload the experiment here so that we can take a look at it? And what version of OSWeb are you using?

    Cheers,

    Sebastiaan

    There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

  • Hey Sebastiaan,

    enclosed you will find the experiment, thank you for looking at it. I am using OS 3.2.7 and OSWeb 1.3.0.1 right now.

    Best, Mad

  • Hi Mad,

    Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The issue is the use of non-ASCII characters (the ü in grün) in the names of the files in the file pool. For now, if you stick to ASCII characters for file names (e.g. gruen), the experiment should work in a browser. (Of course, this is a bug, and we'll address it in a bug-fix release of OSWeb.)

    Cheers!

    Sebastiaan

    There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

  • Hey Sebastiaan,

    thanks for your reply! After changing the characters in the experiment and the corresponding files, the experiment starts to run. The only thing that doesn't work is that in OSWeb, correct answers are not matched to the coloured buttons - so no matter which button you tap, you always get the 'mistake'-picture. I have attached the edited experiment and would be happy if you had any idea!

    Best, Mad


  • Hi Mad,

    Thanks, you spotted another bug. (We've just begun to roll out OSWeb publicly, so there's still kinks to be worked out, which we will do quickly.) The touch_response doesn't keep proper track of the correct variable. What you can do to work around this for now is to explicitly set vars.correct in the Run phase on an inline_javascript item just after the touch_response, like so:

    if
    	(vars.response == vars.correct_response) {
    	vars.correct = 1
    }
    

    (For some reason the forum chokes on if followed by parentheses, so put them on different lines.)

    Cheers!

    Sebastiaan

    There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

  • Hey Sebastiaan,

    I think I would be able to run the experiment more or less properly. There ist only one other thing which works different in OSWeb: My "touch_response" consists of one row and four columns, and the response area is defined correctly in window mode (i.e. I get four equally sized columns). In OSWeb, the columns no. 3 and 4 are smaller than the other and they are too far on the right.

    I can bypass this matter by placing my buttons further right, but I thought you might be interested in this matter when further developing OSWeb.

    Thank you so far!

  • >  In OSWeb, the columns no. 3 and 4 are smaller than the other and they are too far on the right.

    This doesn't seem to happen for me, actually. Are you sure about this? And if so, would it be possible to provide a minimal example that illustrates the problem? And what browser are you using?

    There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

  • I am using Firefox and when I try to match a green word to the green button on the right side, I have to touch or click in the middle or right area of the button to get a correct response. When I use the left area of the button, I get an error message since the program thinks I have touched the next button further left (I am not sure whether my explanation is clear enough?).

  • @Daniel Does this sound familiar?

    There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

  • This sounds familiar indeed and I think this issue has also been fixed by our recent work on the touch_response item. I did a quadrant test last time, and it worked as it should then, but let's test it again to be sure though with 1.3.1.

  • > I did a quadrant test last time, and it worked as it should then, but let's test it again to be sure though with 1.3.1.

    That makes sense then. Because I did test it with 1.3.1, and it worked fine.

    There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

Sign In or Register to comment.