Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

[solved] Switching between text languages hinders text response on tablet

edited January 2016 in OpenSesame

So I have a Japanese version to my experiment. It displays Japanese text just fine, and for the most part does not require any Japanese text to be inputted, except for the very last question. Until then it is only number responses, which work fine. My tablet's keyboard is automatically English, but can be changed to Japanese if you swipe the spacebar. However, at any point while Opensesame is running, if I change the keyboard to Japanese it will simply stop working. Predictive text will continue as if I'm inputting characters, but nothing will show in the textbox. The issue persists even if I switch back to the English keyboard, and will only work again (in English only) if I force exit the app and restart it.

If absolutely necessary I can have my subjects respond using the English alphabet, but obviously things would go much smoother if I could get this kink out of the way.

On a slightly separate note, if anyone knows how I could display Japanese on Excel or Libreoffice, that'd be great!

Comments

• edited 9:49PM

Hi,

The OpenSesame runtime for Android only accepts ASCII input, that is, only latin characters without accents. (This only applies to the Android runtime; on other platforms you can also enter non-ASCII text.) This is a pretty serious limitation, but for the moment I haven't been able to find any way around it. So I'm afraid that using English text input will be your best solution.

On a slightly separate note, if anyone knows how I could display Japanese on Excel or Libreoffice, that'd be great!

Excel and LibreOffice should be able to handle Japanese text without any problem. If the problem is that you don't see Japanese characters when opening OpenSesame data files, you'll probably have to specify that the text encoding is utf-8. See also:

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

• edited 9:49PM

Aha! It wasn't set to utf-8 automatically, that fixed it for me :)

Sad about the character input, but at least I can work around it. Thanks!